In 1924 the first barracks of Hod HaSharon were built. Haim Kolton, one of the first founders, had purchased from the British the parts for the barracks that lay abandoned at a British military camp at Tulkarem. It soon became a central point for the settlers, and held the first Passover Seder, first wedding, social meetings, committee sessions, debates and more. In addition it served as the town’s first guest house and dining facility.
What’s at the site: a display of exhibits and various tools from the time of settlement; a presentation describing the formation of the four settlements which later joined together to form Hod HaSharon; an impression of the construction methods of that time.
For the general public: guided tours telling the stories of the first settlement at the site, a tour of the big synagogue with the story of the building and its mural, climbing to the synagogue roof and a description of the water supply difficulties next to the first water tower.
For children: a film with the story of the settlement and a creative activation with a tour of the barracks, presentation of periodic tools and tours of the area, combined with stories and “treasure hunt” games.