At the heart of kibbutz Nahsholim stand an impressive stone building, dating from 1891, built by baron Edmond de Rothschild as glass bottle factory for the wineries at Zikhron Ya’akov and Rishon LeZion. The factory was managed by Meir Dizengoff, who later became the first mayor of Tel-Aviv. The factory was closed three years after its opening following a malaria outbreak and unprofitability, and after all the workers and glass experts had left.
The building was partially reconstructed in 1980 by members of Kibbutz Nahsholim and became a museum. Recently the tile roof has been renovated by the Society for Preservation of Heritage Sites, and windows, doors and the original staircase have been added as well.
What’s at the site: an active museum, commemorating the site’s history and housing the land and marine archaeological activity at the Dor-Nahsholim bay. The findings arrive at the museum, in which they are directly displayed in the original halls, including the discoveries of the ancient city of Dor, the ancient port and evidence of the pale blue and purple industry.
For the general public: guided tours of the museum, the hill and the beach with special activity on the subject of pale blue and purple, including dyeing a wick, by advance booking.
For children: special guidance and activations, special activities on holidays, including “treasure hunt” games, crockery restoration workshops, painting on jugs, creation of mosaics and more.