In Neve Tzedek stands the Rokach house, built in 1887 by Shimon Rokach, the neighbourhood’s entrepreneur and founder. The house tells of the fulfilment of the dream of Jaffa’s Jews to depart to the golden sandy spaces in order to establish an independent Jewish quarter, the first on the Coastal Plain. Neve Tzedek and the adjacent neighbourhoods constituted the nucleus of the settlement, out of which the First Hebrew City developed.
What’s at the site: the authentic 19th century house is an architectural pearl and is the only house in the neighbourhood which has been restored and reconstructed just the way it was in order to provide visitors with the sense of the beginning of the settlement at Neve Tzedek. The house serves as a visitor center and gives an introduction to history and life at the time of the beginning of the settlement at Neve Tzedek.
For the general public: guided tours of the house, theatrical guidance for adults, combined with light refreshment at the spirit of the time; an original play named “The Tale of Neve Tzedek”, telling the story of the house and its people and the establishment of the neighbourhood.
For children: theatrical guidance, a comic historic play – “A Neighbourhood in a Laundry Pail”, in which the children take part, and activities in the spirit of the time.